‘Tis The Season to Travel: Record-Breaking Number of Americans to Travel for Year-End Holidays

AAA aims to keep Arizona roads calm and bright with Tipsy Tow

12/05/17
Travel

The end of the year is luring more Americans to the roads and skies for the Christmas and New Year’s holidays compared to last year.

According to AAA, more than 107 million Americans will travel between Saturday, Dec. 23 and Monday, Jan. 1, 2018.

"We’ve seen growth in every major travel holiday this year and that continues for the year-end holidays," said Michelle Donati, spokesperson for AAA Arizona.

To develop an understanding of year-end travel intentions among Arizonans, AAA commissioned a survey that uncovered the following four travel trends:

  • Over the river and through the woods. More than a third (34 percent) of Arizonans surveyed said they will travel between Saturday, Dec. 23 and Monday, Jan. 1, 2018.
     
  • There’s no place like staying close to home for the holidays. Three out of four respondents (75 percent) planning to travel will stay in Arizona versus leaving the state (25 percent).
     

  • All I want for Christmas is to travel with you! Travel over the year-end holidays is most popular among couples (51 percent).
     

  • Deck the halls with friends and family. Spending time with family and friends (83 percent) is the most commonly cited reason for year-end trips.
     

Stay off the naughty list and start 2018 safely with Tipsy Tow
AAA is offering Tipsy Tow service over the year-end holidays. Christmas service will start 6 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 24 and will run through 6 a.m. Monday, Dec. 25. New Year’s service will start 6 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 31 and will run through 6 a.m. Monday, Jan. 1, 2018.

To take advantage of the service, drivers, passengers, party hosts, bartenders and/or restaurant managers should call 1-800-AAA-HELP (1-800-222-4357), state that they need a Tipsy Tow. Drivers should be prepared to provide their name, home address, phone number and location. Tipsy Tow provides a free ride home and vehicle tow of up to 10 miles. For mileage beyond this, motorists are charged a standard towing rate.

“The holidays are often celebrated with friends and family toasting to happiness and good health,” Donati said. “If you indulge in too many spirits, please don’t get behind the wheel. Give AAA a call and we’ll get you home safely.”

AAA is the largest leisure travel agency in North America. Visit AAA.com/Travel for more information.