No one likes it when they find out their luggage has taken a vacation of its own. Moreover, it seems with greater frequency luggage gets lost, delayed or damaged. Fortunately, 98% of the bags do arrive at the correct destination.
There are a few things you can do to lower the chances of having your luggage lost or delayed:
• Check your specific airline for limits on baggage (size, weight, and number of allowed items) and follow their guidelines exactly.
• To completely avoid the possibility of having your luggage get lost or delayed, pack all items into a carry-on case.
• If you must check your luggage, make sure that you check your luggage within the timeframe provided by your airline.
• Check luggage in at the ticket counter and as early as you are allowed.
• Make your checked bags easy to inspect. You can pack items in labeled, plastic zip-top bags to make things easier for baggage inspectors.
• Make sure your luggage is labeled and easy to identify.
• Double check that all previous airline baggage claim tags have been removed and that the correct airport is listed on the new tags. Also make sure the new tag is legible and firmly attached to your luggage. A smeared tag makes it harder to route luggage correctly.
• Keep valuable, fragile, camera film, and expensive items in your carry-on luggage. If possible, leave valuable and irreplaceable items at home, where they are safer.
• Check your bags after arrival and before leaving the baggage claim area to make sure your luggage is intact. It’s easier to make a claim while you are still at the airport.
• If you have a digital camera, take a picture of each bag. Submitting a picture of the lost bag can help locate the bag more easily.
Careful planning can mitigate the inconvenience. Make sure to pack a carry-on bag with the essentials for yourself or your family. Pack a change of underclothes, a few required toiletries like deodorant, toothbrushes and paste in a clear plastic zip-top bag, extra pair of eyeglasses, swimsuits, and medication. That way, if you find your luggage delayed, you can still go have some fun!