At many schools, congested drop-off and pick-up points compromise child safety. Make your school’s drop-off/pick-up points safer. AAA can help your school identify potential problems and make simple fixes by providing informational brochures and suggesting new procedures. Please contact Traffic Safety at 1-800-637-2122 for more information about this AAA safety program.
AAA's Drop-Zone Safety Tips for Parents
• Don’t make your kids cross the street in a dangerous way just because it’s more convenient for you. Many children are hurt this way.
• Drop children off on the school side of the street.
• Never double park and do not let your child out of a vehicle that is not next to the curb. This forces kids to weave between cars, which is dangerous.
• Follow your school’s traffic pattern for drop-off and pick-up. If your school does not have a plan, contact school officials and suggest that one be developed.
• Reduce your speed when you enter a school zone and when children are walking or biking along the road.
• Use a "valet" at drop-off: Cars pull up and a "valet" (school staff, parent volunteers or school safety patrollers) open the door to help with drop-off. Drivers are not permitted to leave the vehicle and must move on after the door is shut.
• Train your child to look all ways (left, right, behind, and front) and then to walk cautiously when crossing a street.
• Make sure all children wear seat belts and are in appropriate child safety seats or booster seats when riding in a car.
By following these simple recommendations, parents can help keep children safe.
Download School Drop-off and Pick-up Brochure (english, spanish)(PDF, 81 KB)
Download School Drop-off and Pick-up Brochure (chinese)(PDF, 871 KB)
Download Getting Children to School Safely brochure (PDF, 200 KB)