AAA School Safety Patrols are school-sponsored student volunteers from upper elementary and middle schools. Patrol members teach other students about traffic safety on a peer-to-peer basis. They also serve as role models for younger children who look up to them.
School Safety Patrol members:
• Complete training for traffic safety
• Protect students from the hazards of crossing roads on their way to and from school
• Develop leadership skills while helping their school communities
• Assist bus drivers in safely transporting students to and from school
• Teach fellow students about traffic safety
• Serve other leadership functions under the direction of school officials
Experts credit the AAA School Safety Patrol with playing an important role in reducing the rate of pedestrian death for children in the U.S. from the second highest to the lowest of any group today.
While this is great news, school officials tell us they need the safety patrols now more than ever. Facing budget cuts, teachers say the safety patrol is a cost-effective way to keep children safe around congested school drop-off areas, while also teaching leadership and responsibility skills.
If you are interested in starting a safety patrol program at your child’s school, email: Emma.Olenberger@goAAA.com
AAA will send you a free training DVD, as well as a DVD promoting the value of starting a patrol program. To view other helpful information including the AAA Safety Patrol Operations Manual and our other downloadable safety materials, go to Quick Links.
To order AAA School Safety Patrol supplies, please see our Traffic Safety Catalog.